Sunday, March 24, 2013

Teaching Ally

I have been teaching private swim lessons to a 6 year old girl with spina bifida for over a year now.  Ally has come so far in a year and now loves the water.  When I first started lessons, at the beginning of March last year, she had never been in the water without a life jacket.  I never let her start with a life jacket.  She used a "cling" to me and now she can swim backstroke and breaststroke on her own....her arms are so strong!  We work on kicking but she has limited mobility with her legs.  She can float on her front and back for long periods of time, she can do a sitting dive, and she just learned how to do flips in the water too!  It has been so much fun teaching her!  We started out every week, but not do lessons every other week.

My girls have been wanting to meet Ally and swim with her for awhile now.  They know that I go teach Ally, but they stay home with Daddy.  Ally has been wanting to swim with the girls too....so Brian brought the girls the last 15 minutes of Ally's lesson and the girls played together for almost an hour.  Then I stayed and swam with my girls for another hour....it was a fun pool afternoon with the girls!
***Molly, Ally, and Kelly***

No comments: