Monday, June 2, 2008

The **WORST** day of my LIFE!!!

For those of you who have been trying to call over the past three days.....I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you. Friday morning started a CRAZY, SAD, and very FRUSTRATING weekend. Dyersville has been hit with heavy rain A LOT this season. It never seems to let up! All of that led to the crick by our house overflowing over the banks.....and into our basement! The crick has overflown a couple times earlier this spring, but never as bad as on Friday.
Brian and I checked our basement at 7:00am and our pump was running....but we had no water. Brian then went to work at 7:30am. I am having a garage sale this week 6/5-6/7, so at 8:15am I set Kelly up with an Elmo video and I was going to try to bring up a bunch of the garage sale stuff that we had marked (since it was going to have to come up in a few days anyway). Well, the first picture tells the rest of the story. In 45 minutes we went from having NO water....to it being up to my shins and eventually up to my knees. To make matters worse....it was sewage water...gross! For those of you who are wondering, I called my doctor to see if I was ok...since I am 13 weeks pregnant. She said she was unable to give me a tetnus shot...because it could hurt the baby but as long as I didn't have any open cuts or sores, it should be fine. Yes, I will still probably worry until at least my 20 week ultrasound....but there is nothing I can do now. The smell is what got to me the most!!!!
We had a lot of helpers......thanks to all the grandparents for helping during this tragedy. Grandma and Papa Murray came and spent all day Friday helping do what they could along with taking turns watching Kelly. Grandma and Papa Snyder helped on and off on Friday and Saturday as well, and Papa Mulgrew was here ALL DAY Saturday moving out things and cleaning too. It was a mess!
We do have flood insurance so they will be helping with the rest of the clean-up and we will probably get a new water heater, furnance, and water softner too. We have an insurance adjuster coming out on Wednesday afternoon. The cleaning company will be out later this afternoon to clean, sanitize, dry, etc.
The worst part (not including all the work and the major headache) is that our contents are not covered!!! We lost A LOT! Most things can be replaced, but we do not have the money to replace them. We lost some of Kelly's baby items (swing, bouncy chair, playdome, etc.) that we won't have for our second child. We lost our brand-new treadmill, a new twin matress, a queen matress and boxsprings, all the furniture (couch, 4 recliners, a couple other chairs), our Christmas tree, wedding presents (badmitton, bocce ball, sleeping bags, tent, luggage), etc. We did save a lot.....since most things were in Rubbermaid containers....so that is a positive. The pictures will tell the rest of the story.
** On a happier note....I had my 12 week ultrasound last Thursday....the day before the flood....and everything looks good so far....and there is only ONE baby too! Pray for me that the flood and sewage doesn't cause any problems for our unborn baby!
What I saw at 8:15am when I went to go check our basement again. It was already covering the 1st step at the bottom. It eventually got above the second step, before it started going down.
Our flooded basement!
Sad, sad, sad!!!
Our biggest monetary loss....our brand-new treadmill that we bought as our Christmas present to each other a few months ago. (The motor is totally underwater)
Kelly's "soon to be" big girl bed"! We managed to save the daybed wood frame before the water got too high along with the top matress. We lost the trundle and the lower matress! The lower matress was BRAND NEW!!! (This is the lower matress)
This is the most sentimental thing I lost....a doll dresser that my dad made me as a little girl....filled with 3 cabbage patch kids dolls, a doll bed, and a TON of doll clothes. I was looking forward to Kelly playing with these someday! (I am going to try to save some of the clothes)
Our garden that we just planted last weekend!!! I could just cry!
One of the trees in our backyard....the cornfield is now our backyard!

No comments: